A Hindu ceremonial procession that began in Gurugram, Haryana, was forcefully disrupted today by members of the Muslim minority in the state’s Nuh district.
The parade was stoned, resulting in communal unrest and anxiety in the neighborhood.
Haryana Nuh Violence: Bajrang Dal member Monu Manesar was at the center of communal skirmishes that erupted during a Vishva Hindu Parishad march in Haryana’s Nuh district on Monday, killing two home guards and injuring more than 15 others, including numerous police officers.
Following the skirmishes, the district administrations of Gurugram and Faridabad declared that all schools, colleges, and educational institutes will be closed on Tuesday. Mobile internet access has also been halted until August 2.
According to some accounts, Monu Manesar, a cow vigilante who was previously arrested for the murder of two Muslim men whose burnt carcasses were discovered in the Bhiwani area in February, was meant to attend the parade.
He did not participate, however, on the recommendation of the VHP, which worried that his presence might cause friction. On Twitter, there were also threats challenging him to come to Nuh.
Who exactly is Monu Manesar?
1) Monu Manesar is accused of kidnapping and murdering Junaid and Nasir, two suspected cow traffickers in Rajasthan’s Bharatpur. #ArrestMonuManesar was trending on Twitter in June of this year.
2) However, the Bajrang Dal group denied any involvement in the deaths of two cousins, Junaid and Nasir. Monu Manesar is a Bajrang Dal activist.
3) Over the last five years, Monu has grown to prominence as a key player in the Haryana government’s cow protection task team in Gurgaon. According to accounts, he is also known as Mohit Yadav.
4) Monu Manesar has become a recognizable figure within this campaign, receiving attention and acclaim for his devotion to the cause, with a prominent presence and engagement in preserving the interests of cows.
5) According to a Hindustan Times story, Monu also obtained a silver play button from YouTube last October for reaching one lakh subscribers on his channel; however, the channel suddenly appears to have vanished.