Durga Ashtami, or Maha Ashtami, is the eighth day of the nine-day Navratri festival. Durga Ashtami is commemorated this year on October 22. On this day, Hindus honor Goddess Mahagauri, a symbol of tranquility and purity.
According to Hindu mythology, Maha Ashtami commemorates the defeat of the buffalo demon Mahishasura, who had been terrorizing the gods and humanity, and the gods had been unable to slay him.
As a result, they sought assistance from Goddess Durga, who fought Mahishasura for nine days and nights. Finally, on the ninth day, Goddess Durga conquered the monster, and the people celebrated the day of good triumphing over evil.
Many devotees fast on Durga Ashtami, offering prayers and seeking blessings. Across the country, Hindus adorn their houses with flowers and lights. On Durga Ashtami, Hindus also do kanya puja. Kanjakiya, also known as kanya puja, is a ritual performed on young females who have not yet entered puberty.
Those kanjas are said to represent the goddess’s purest form. Devotees ask nine young girls to worship them in their houses.
Wishes and phrases for Durga Ashtami 2023 to share with your loved ones
1) May this festival bring you new delights and surround you and your loved ones with good energies now and forever. Congratulations on Maha Ashtami.
2) I hope this Durga Ashtami gives you good fortune and a lot of pleasure. Durga Ashtami greetings!
3) May Maha Ashtami offer you the strength to overcome hurdles and achieve success in all your endeavors on this auspicious day. Maha Ashtami Subho!
4) Best wishes for Durga Ashtami 2023! Maa Durga, may you be blessed with strength, courage, and success in all your endeavors.
5) Allow the holy spirit of Durga Ashtami to bring peace and harmony into your life and the lives of those you love.
6) May Mad Durga’s heavenly blessings remain with you constantly and guide you on the road of virtue. Happy Durga Ashtami in the year 2023!
7) Accept the power of Goddess Durga inside you and overcome your anxieties. Maha Ashtami, Subho Maha Ashtami!”
8) May the Goddess Durga lead us to endless peace and prosperity. May she bestow upon us the ability to overcome the ills in our lives!
9) Sending my best wishes for a wonderful Durga Ashtami celebration.
10) May Goddess Durga’s heavenly blessings bring you eternal peace and pleasure, guard you from wrongdoing, and grant all your wishes. Happy Durga Ashtami to you and your loved ones.