You may encounter situations in which you wish to make a UPI payment. But are unable to do so due to sluggish internet speeds or because you only have 2G coverage, which is insufficient. For performing UPI transactions online. Many people are unaware that you can utilize UPI in offline mode by dialing the *99# USSD code from your phone’s dialer.
The ‘*99# service’ was introduced to incorporate all mobile users in the UPI ecosystem. Regardless of whether they use a smartphone or not. If your phone number is linked to your bank account, you can use *99# to access all UPI services.
Using UPI via *99# may make little sense. For smartphone users because they have access to UPI apps. But for feature phones, the *99# USSD code is the only option for paying via UPI.
This capability has been available for some time but is not often used.
Check to see if your phone number is linked to your bank account. If you haven’t already registered for UPI, you can do so using the USSD codes.
Here’s how to pay digitally using UPI without an internet connection:
- Enter *99# into your phone’s dialer and press the call button.
- Enter the number 1 and press the send button.
- Select the payment receiver’s information, type the number, and press the send button. For example, if we have the UPI merchant’s mobile number, we must type 1 and press the transmit button.
- Enter the mobile number associated with the merchant’s UPI account and press the send button.
- Enter the amount and hit the send button.
- Enter a payment remark here.
- To complete the transaction, enter your UPI pin.
- Your UPI transaction will be completed even if you do not have access to the internet.
Here’s how to use *99# to disable UPI.
- Open your phone’s dialer and dial *99#.
- Choose option 4 from the drop-down menu.
- To unregister from UPI, enter 7 and press Send.
- Press 1 to confirm that you want to deregister from UPI.